Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

To pump or not to pump...


Do I need to pump? 

What kind of pump do I need?


I started asking those questions as soon as I found out I was preggers with baby number 1.  Here is the GIST!  You will probably need a double electric pump if you plan to go out without your baby a lot, you are returning back to work and plan on continuing breastfeeding, or if you produce too much or too little milk.  I have a Medela double electric pump that was handed down to me.  Yes, yes, all those experts say NOT to share pumps but I replaced all of the membranes, valves, and bought all new breast shields and it has worked out perfectly!  I used it the first few weeks to help establish a good milk supply and pumped every time I was engorged.  (I have a huge long story that I will share later about bottle feeding while breastfeeding).  Back to the pumps...if you are a stay at home mom that will rarely leave your baby then you probably will not need to pump as often or ever, so therefore a double electric pump is too much for you. Go with a manual pump or learn how to hand express your milk.  With baby #2 I only pumped the first couple of days of my milk coming in to relieve pressure, I haven't pump since.  So the question you need to ask yourself is... why do I need to pump?

No comments:

Post a Comment